Asbestos Abatement and Removal Calgary
Call Us: (587) 400-1222
One of the largest investments you’ll ever make in your life is the one made in your home. Not only is this one that can pay off over time, but it also provides a safe haven for you and the ones you love the most. However, if your home was built before 1987, there’s a high probability that there is a lurking problem that could put you in danger. Asbestos is a heat-resistant, fibrous silicate mineral that was commonly used in a variety of building products for hundreds of years. However, it has only recently come to light that it’s a cause for a number of serious health problems.
While knowing that your home may not be safe is a scary thought to fathom, there is hope. The staff here at Remediation Pros Calgary is specialized in quality asbestos removal services, and we are equipped with the latest tools in the industry to make sure the job gets done right. We also have the knowledge to best ensure the work is performed safely so both you and our crew are not put in harm’s way.
Your One-Stop-Shop for Asbestos Removal Services
The complete removal of asbestos from a home or office is a grueling process, and, even when hours of labor are performed, it’s still possible for some to be left behind for those who don’t have the necessary tools and experience. However, when you work with our company, you can rest assured that we are fully prepared to perform expedited work without compromising quality. We have credentials that speak for themselves, and you can rest assured that we:
- Are registered with both Homestars and the BBB
- Are certified with the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration
- Are locally owned and operated, ensuring you that we do have a vested interest in the community and people we serve
- Are available 24/7 to ensure we are available whenever you may need us
Unlike many large, corporate companies that see their customers as just another client, you’ll quickly realize that we treat you like part of our family. We understand the importance of providing a safe place for your family to call home, and we reflect that in the quality service we provide.
What’s the Big Deal With Asbestos
The use of asbestos dates all the way back to 4000 BC when it’s believed the fibers were used as wicks in candles and lamps. Egyptian pharaohs were wrapped in cloth made of asbestos in order to preserve their bodies for the afterlife. During the start of the Industrial Revolution, the widespread use of the substance in manufacturing arose.
With such a rich history, it can be easy to become confused as to just why asbestos is such a big deal. It wasn’t until the 1930’s that doctors began testing asbestos due to suspicions that it was the cause of certain health problems. By the 1960’s, cases of mesothelioma began to rise, and further research was done. The commercial use of asbestos was largely ceased by the 1980’s due to confirmed findings of the dangers the mineral presents.
However, there is still a good possibility your home contains asbestos if it was built prior to 1987. On their website, the government of Canada provides valuable information regarding the many dangers of asbestos, and here they list some of the common products known to often contain traces including:
- Industrial furnaces and heating systems
- Building insulation
- Floor and ceiling tiles
- Brake pads for cars and trucks
- Housing siding
The thought of living with such a dangerous mineral in your own home is scary, and our staff is here to take the worry off your mind. We get to work quickly to both evaluate your home and fix any problem areas we find to exist.
Health Risks to Be Aware Of
There are a variety of health risks associated with asbestos, and it wasn’t until relatively recent years that the link was discovered. However, since that time, measures have been taken to reduce exposure.
From scarring of the lungs which makes breathing difficult to mesothelioma, lung cancer, and more, it’s highly important that you ensure you and your family don’t become exposed. Just some of the ways the government points out that you can become exposed on their site include:
- Disturbing insulation which contains asbestos
- Breaking apart ceiling tiles
- Sawing or drilling certain materials
The best way to protect yourself from potential exposure is to have a thorough asbestos testing and abatement performed, and our staff is ready to get the job done.
A Brief Walk Through the Asbestos Abatement Process
Our staff likes to keep our customers in the loop, and that’s why we think it’s important that you understand the basics of the asbestos remediation process. Your house is important to you, and we know you want to stay informed of the work we’ll be doing during every step of the process. Following is the tried and tested steps we’ll be taking as we ensure your home is safe:
- To begin, we will use an air monitor to test the quality in the home. When we compare these to post-abatement samples, we can determine whether or not a problem exists.
- If abatement is necessary, a qualified contractor will establish a regulated work site. We will initiate and install control systems to ensure pressure and containment within the site. Existing electrical systems in the area will be disengaged, and those electrical components necessary for the job will be initiated.
- Movable objects in the work zone will be relocated, and our staff will seal any openings to prevent the spread of asbestos during the course of the job.
- Asbestos testing will be performed to discover the areas that need attention.Once removal is complete, your contractor and crew will then perform a thorough cleaning process, after which they will monitor the work zone to ensure the process was successful. Our staff adheres to the disposal guidelines set forth by the city of Calgary. For more information regarding their requirements, you can visit their website.
- A post abatement air sample will be taken when work is complete to ensure your home is clean and clear of all asbestos.
We pride ourselves in being thorough in the work we perform, and it’s our goal to completely eradicate any potential problem areas you may have. When you work with us, you can rest assured that we offer a five year guarantee on all of our work to best ensure your satisfaction.
Steps To Take If You Suspect You May Have Asbestos
Unlike other common problems homeowners run into such as water leaks, the presence of asbestos won’t be manifesting itself anytime soon. That’s what makes it such an elusive issue, and it takes a proactive approach in order to get to the bottom of the problem. If your home was built before 1987, there’s a good chance you could have asbestos within the various components of your home’s structure. While it can be easy to find yourself in a panic thinking of the possibilities, it’s important to keep calm and follow these steps:
- Review all of the information you received regarding your home when you purchased it. It may have been many years since you revisited this information, so you may be surprised at what you can discover now that you’re older and wiser. Pay close attention to the year the home was built as well as any previous asbestos abatement work that may have been performed in the past.
- If you home was built before 1987 and there has been no remediation efforts taken, call our office. We can have a qualified contractor on your site quickly.
- Avoid embarking on any type of construction in the home as disturbing material containing asbestos can release it into the air and pose risks.
- We make it our mission to work as quickly and efficiently as possible. However, during the course of our work, we recommend that you make arrangements for somewhere to stay. This prevents you from any exposure that may result as we remove asbestos-containing material.
While asbestos is serious business, it can be eliminated. However, it takes the proper tools and experience to get the job done right. Our staff possesses both, and we put it all to work to provide you with a safe place for you and your loved ones to call home.
An Investment That Pays Back
You likely plan to spend many more years in your home. While the presence of asbestos may not have resulted in any negative health effects at this point, the fact remains that the health risks this mineral poses grow over time.
When a serious problem presents itself, it’s too late to correct it. The investment made now can prove to be well worth it in the long run, and our staff is ready to help you rid yourself of asbestos today. Our free inspection and senior discounts best ensure you’re able to easily fit this job into your budget, so give us a call for your quote today.