As a homeowner, you have the peace-of-mind of knowing that your hard-earned money is going toward an asset that’s capable of increasing in value over time while providing the shelter and security you and your family need. However, there are many hidden dangers out there that can put both your home and its inhabitants in danger.
It’s estimated by Harvard University that approximately 70 percent of homeowners have some type of mold buildup in their homes. The reason this number is so high is that we often don’t know it’s there. However, when left unattended, there are a number of health risks the presence of mold can cause.
Whether you have just suffered from a flooding situation and know you are at a high risk for mold development in your home or you just want to check out an unusual smell, it’s important that you act fast. The staff here at Calgary Remediation Pros has access to the tools and knowledge to get you back on track, and our mold experts offer the attention to detail you can count on.
Understanding How Mold Develops
In order to determine if your home may be at risk, it’s important to understand the general nature of how mold develops. To make it easy to understand, just consider the following three ingredients to the perfect mold recipe:
- Nutrients- provided by sources containing cellulose
- Moisture- kick starts the decaying process caused by mold
- Time- mold growth is known to begin anywhere from 24 hours to ten days after the correct conditions have been established.
When these three key components are in place, you are at significant risk for mold development, and it spreads quickly. Now is the time to seek out professional mold remediation services to keep your costs and the efforts necessary to correct the problem minimal.
Types of Mold You May Encounter
Just as any other living thing, mold comes in many shapes, colors, and types, and understanding this can enable you to more easily identify a problem when it arises. Just a few indoor molds that you should be on the lookout for include:
Known to cause health problems in those exposed including:
- Inflammation of the lungs
- Respiratory infections
- Allergic reactions
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
Commonly found in bathrooms with improper ventilation
Characterized by its musty odor, this mold type is common on water damaged drywall.
Able to grow in cool indoor areas unlike many other types of mold and can grow on:
– common in areas that have been water damaged
More commonly known as black mold and produces toxic compounds known as mycotoxins which can lead to a number of health problems including:
- Respiratory problems
- Allergic reactions
- Chronic sinus infections
- Asthma attacks
– known to thrive on damp carpet, wallpaper and other wet surfaces
What to Do If You Have Mold
Assuming you are already pretty sure you have a mold problem, the first action to take is to contact a professional mold removal company like the staff here at Calgary Remediation Pros. We have access to the latest tools in the industry, and this is backed by our many years of experience. We can take action to remove even the worst black mold from your home.
While we get quickly to work on your problem, the Environmental Protection Agency offers a few helpful steps you can take while you wait for our arrival to maximize our success including:
- If the source of the mold is from a water leak or other type of flooding, this needs to be cleaned up first.
- Take pictures of the problem and call your insurance company to see if you can receive financial help in paying for professional mold remediation services.
- Ensure there is proper ventilation throughout the home.
Unless you have knowledge of mold development as well as the latest tools, it can be highly difficult to rid yourself of a mold problem. Not only can it be difficult to get rid of in general, but it often hides in areas you can’t see, and your efforts will have been made in vain when more mold continues to spread. By following these tips, you can prepare yourself for when our skilled mold experts arrive to provide their professional services.
Ways to Prevent Future Problems
While we sincerely appreciate the business we do with each and every one of our clients, it’s our goal that you never have to work with us again. That’s why we feel it’s important to educate our customers on proactive things they can do to minimize their chances of ever falling victim to this frustrating problem again in the future. Among the tips you are encouraged to follow include:
- Remove any standing water as well as belongings that have become saturated following flooding.
- Since mold can form in as little as 24 hours, begin drying your belongings and other water-damaged areas quickly. Our staff can assist in this effort, but you can begin by using fans and removing water with tools such as sump pumps.
- Use a dehumidifier and turn the heat up as high as you can comfortably do so.
- Create circulation in the home using fans or by opening the windows.
- Don’t use bleach as a deterrent as it fails to eliminate mold at its root.
- Periodically check your attic as unknown roofing leaks can cause mold development for months or even years before you’re ever aware.
The Many Reasons to Entrust Calgary Remediation Pros
We understand the integrity of your home is highly valuable to you, and that’s why we carry a sense of pride with each customer who entrusts us with such a sensitive task.
When you work with our mold removal team, you get to take advantage of a number of exciting benefits including:
- Credentials you can rely on as we are registered with both Homestars and the BBB.
- IICRC Certified
- Locally owned and operated, giving you the peace of mind you deserve in knowing we have a vested interest in both the clients and community we serve
Best of all, we understand that this is likely not a situation you anticipated, and that’s why we work with you to come up with the remediation plan that will fit best with your budget. After coming to you location and providing you with a free inspection, we can give you a good idea of the costs you can expect as we move forward with the process.
We are confident in the work we do, and that’s why we offer you the protection of a five year guarantee. Our company even offers senior discounts to keep costs as low as possible, so call today to schedule your free inspection and get one step closer to getting your home back in proper working order.