Call Us: (587) 400-1222
As creatures of habit, most of us have our days carefully laid out whether that be in a day planner or on the various apps available for download on our mobile devices. While these methods can prove handy and help us stay on task, the truth remains that unexpected surprises present themselves without warning. As a homeowner, these incidents can quickly change any upcoming plans, especially if you find yourself dealing with sewer backup Calgary.
When water damage presents itself in your home, it’s crucial that you act quickly. These types of problems won’t go away on their own, and every minute you procrastinate proper mitigation only results in further damage. Unfortunately, most homeowners aren’t equipped with the tools or experience to get the issue fixed right the first time, and this means further damage and costs later on down the road. The professional staff here at Rem Pros Calgary are here to help. We offer the expedient service you need at a price you can afford.
Quality Services to Meet Your Unique Needs
We have been in business long enough to know that there are a number of ways in which sewage backup manifests itself. Whether you are dealing with large-scale sewage backed up in basement or minor city sewer backup issues, we are capable of getting the job done. No job is too big or small, and we offer a number of services and features you can take advantage of including:
- Complete assessment of the problem
- Thorough repairs in order to save you money on replacement costs
- Proper drying process using the latest drying technology to help reduce damages and costs
- Round-the-clock service to ensure we are available whenever you may need our help
- Free inspections to help you manage your budget as you work through this difficult situation
We see each of our customers as more than just another client. Our staff understands that you are facing a serious hardship, and that’s why we’re with you every step of the way. From start to finish, our compassionate specialists are there to walk you through the process and address any concerns you may have.
Understanding the Causes of Sewage Backup
In order to best ensure you understand how this problem came to be, you should be aware of the various common causes of basement flooded with sewage and other similar issues. While each case is unique, there are a few instigators that we see on a regular basis, and there’s a good chance your issue started due to one of the following underlying problems:
- You likely have an understanding that your sewage system is made up of a series of pipes that ultimately lead your waste away from the home. When these pipes become clogged, you can quickly find yourself with a backup issue. These issues can often be taken care of using common sewer tools or even products you can find at your local retailer. However, if every flush results in a backup, it’s likely you have a clog in the main sewer line, and this presents a much bigger issue.
- Our lawns are the first thing people see when they drive by our houses, and we take time and effort into making sure they are properly maintained. Trees, however, when growing too closely to your sewage system, can present a serious problem. Oftentimes, growing roots can make their way into your pipes and cause holes and blockages. They can also grow around your sewer line and crush it completely.
- If you live in an older home, there’s a chance that your lines were built using cast iron and clay piping. When this is the case, it’s not uncommon to experience broken, cracked or collapsed lines.
These are all serious issues, and they require a lot of hard work to correct. When you rely on the staff here at Rem Pros Calgary, however, we take the heavy lifting off your shoulders. There are few situations we have yet to encounter for the first time, and we get to work quickly getting your sewage system back in proper working order.
Steps to Take When Trouble Arises
Unlike renters, homeowners are on their own when something goes wrong with their houses. This means they can suddenly be hit with enormous struggle and hundreds or even thousands of dollars in unexpected expenses. That’s why, when the drain is backing up in basement or heavy rains are threatening to cause sewage issues, it can be scary. However, don’t panic. There are a few steps you should be sure to follow to ensure you’re best able to get through this hurdle in your life.
- Make the proper phone calls. Our staff makes basement sewer backup calls a priority, and we pride ourselves in our ability to make it to your site within just 45 minutes if you live within city limits. You should also alert the City of Calgary so they can assess your situation. They offer information on how to make such reports on their website.
- Begin removing any valuable items you have that may be subject to sustaining damage. However, only enter the area if it’s safe to do so.
- If internal plumbing is to blame, shut off the water main to prevent any further damage from occurring.
- Turn off the electricity at the breaker to reduce the possibility of injury.
- Using buckets or a sump pump, you may choose to begin extracting water to speed up the process as you wait for our arrival.
When it comes to water damage, every second counts, and our staff understands just how much you have to lose. While we pride ourselves in being prompt, we encourage you to take any measures possible in order to minimize losses.
Keep in mind, however, that sewage backup issues can present a number of hazards. If you aren’t sure or suspect entering the affected area could pose a risk, don’t chance it. We’ll be there quickly.
Saving Yourself Stress in the Future
Nobody wants to face a sewage backup once in their life, and they certainly don’t want for the problem to revisit them later on once it has already manifested. Rem Pros Calgary wants to make sure that you never need our services more than once, and that’s why we take it upon ourselves to help you understand and prepare for future issues before they arise. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and there are a number of small things you can do today to save yourself a lot of work, stress and money later.
- Consider having a sewage backup water valve installed. These are placed directly into the sewer lateral in your basement, and they effectively close if sewage ever backs up from the main. If you are considering this investment, the Insurance Bureau of Canada offers information and advice on their website.
- Install one-way drain plugs. They contain a special float that is activated when backflow occurs, and they prevent the sewage from coming through. They are also relatively inexpensive to purchase.
- Install a standpipe into the floor drain where potential backup sewage can escape. This proves helpful for backup less than three feet deep.
- For the most foolproof protection, consider installing an overhead sewer. This can be costly and requires the workmanship of a licensed plumber and a building permit, but it gives you the best protection against future occurrences.
It’s our goal that we are able to get your home back to proper working order, and our technicians want to make sure our work pays off for the long term. By implementing these helpful preventive measures, you can best ensure you won’t have to face another sewage backup anytime soon.
A Moment to Consider Mold
Mold is a common occurrence wherever there is a flooding or backup situation, and this is because it thrives in damp, dark environments. Even if your problem has only been in existence for a couple of hours, you run the risk of the development of mold, fungus, and spores in a very short period of time. When we arrive, our staff can assess the area, and we have the tools to detect if mold is present even if it’s not visible to the naked eye. Some common physical symptoms that indicate you may have mold include:
- Increased symptoms in those with asthma
- Watery eyes
- Stuffy/runny nose
Sewage Cleanup Calgary You Can Count On
This is obviously a difficult situation, but, when you work with us, we help you manage it and get through. Whether you’re dealing with severe sewer backup in basement during heavy rain or a broken line, we have the tools to get the job done.
Our IICRC certified specialists get to work quickly assessing the scope of the problem, and you can rely on our credentials as we are registered with both Homestars and the BBB. Best of all, we give you the security of knowing you have a five year guarantee on all the work we do, so give us a call today to reserve your free inspection.